A deliciously refreshing summer mocktail with the delicate flavour of the passion fruit and the dash of colour, the freshness of mint and the thirst quenching properties of pineapple juice
Passion fruit are a tropical fruit with a hard brown skin and a soft yellow pulp, with small edible seeds. It is has a distinctive taste and it is a wonderful fruit to add to drinks and dessert also because of its yellow pulp, able to lift the appearance of hte dullest of dishes!
Passion fruit can taste awful if not ripe so, before you attempt to make this drink, make sure your passionfruit is up for the task! We’re going to show you exactly what to look for in picking out the best fruits and presenting the perfect pitcher of icy Cool Passion your friends and family will go crazy for.
Can’t make it now? Save this mocktail recipe idea for later!
This post contains affiliate links that may earn us a commission from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
How to pick a ripe passion fruit from the store
Before we dive into the recipe, it’s important to know how to pick the best possible ingredients. A passionfruit has hard, brown skin, so you cannot rely on its look alone to know if it is ripe.
When picking a ripe pression fruit form the grocery store you want them to:
- Feel heavy: a fruit that is heavy for its size is a fruit with a lot of nice, juicy pulp, full of sugary deliciousness
- Look wrinkled: a very smooth passion fruit is most likely not ready
- Have a little give when pressed
How to open a passionfruit
To use your fresh passionfruit, you will need a sharp knife and a small spoon. Use the knife to cut your passion fruit in half horizontally. Then, use a small spoon to scoop out the pulp paying attention not to include the white rind around the pulp. The white part is bitter and will ruin the taste of your passion fruit!
Once you have your pulp, you can eat it raw, add it as it is to your drink or dessert or you can use a strainer to separate the juice from the seeds.
For this drink, we use the whole pulp and seeds and they pack an extra punch of tropical flavour that brings your summer drink to the next level!
Tools you will need to make a Cool Passion Mocktail
- A sharp knife to cut the fresh passion fruit
- Cocktail muddler
- Cocktail stirrer
- Measuring jug
- Pitcher and highball glasses to serve
- Environmentally friendly straws
- 250ml orange juice
- 250ml passionfruit pulp
- 1 litre pineapple juice
- 1 litre lemonade
- Mint (to dress)
- Cut the passion fruit in half, scoop out the pulp and pour it into a jar
- Add the juice, the ice and the lemonade and mix well
- Serve in tall glasses with fresh mint and crushed ice
Good to know: if you prefer your mocktail smoother, you can use a strainer to prevent the passionfruit seeds themselves from getting into get into the cocktail. We do, however, recommend to add a little bit of the pulp at least for the best texture
If you love your passionfruit flavoured drinks you may also want to try:
- Porn Star Martini Mocktail – a non-alcoholic take on the modern classic hit the Porn Star with passionfruit the starring ingredient, also known as a Virgin Passion Star
- Passionfruit Mojito Cocktail – one for your